Friday, September 26, 2008

Local food






So, as some of you know, we're way into local food networks, these days. We're CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) members, so every week we go to a nearby community garden and pick up a bunch of fruits and vegetables that are grown at a farm in upstate NY. Which is awesome, and it's nice to know that we're eating more locally, and seasonally, and organically. But sometimes it means we get way too much of, say, swiss chard, and we don't necessarily eat all of it. So this year, instead of letting it go bad and then feeding it to our worm bin (wanna ask about that? it's a whole 'nother can of... oh never mind, it was a bad pun), we decided we were going to be more organized. I took an online class on food storage and preservation, and we bought a few books on the subject, and voila. If you come over to our little Brooklyn apartment nowadays, you might have to deal with swiss chard leaves hanging up to dry in the hallway (once they're dry, you can store them in an airtight container and use them in soup), or cabbage lacto-fermenting into sauerkraut in our pickling crock, or grape juice fermenting into wine... Ok, so we don't get grapes from the CSA, but it's part of the same effort. Do it yourself, can it yourself, cook it yourself. Come on by, there's plenty of sauerkraut for all. You don't have to tread out the grapes, though, we already did that.

5 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger la maman said...

You know...Martha Stewart was all up in the corporate shindig but was down with this kind of stuff - look where it got her (I mean, besides the whole prison schpeel).

I say - you get your shizz together on this stuff and I can play child caretaker (but with a full time job with which I will keep popping out babies to take the designated year off per child)...we'll move our arses up to CanadiaLand and the men's can work in coffee shops talking about art and music.

The End

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger la maman said...

Did I mention that Perrin is getting so big - and downright handsome if I may so myself!

Olivia is walking and made me download the graphing calculator application on my iPhone just for fun in her stroller...

Ummmm...it's time for a trip to Brooklyn already!

xoxo

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger p-roc's dad said...

Hahahahaha, I believe it! If anyone has the cojo - I mean, strong will to start walking at 4 months, it would be Ms. Bee. :) Yes, a Brooklyn trip is in order. Call me, yo.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Auntie J said...

Oops, sorry, that was actually me, not p's dad.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, er, you have been posting. and I've just not been paying attention. very cool stuff. i feel jealous and a little left behind. but i'll be catching up soon... next spring, yeah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home